ATVs Rules and suggestions

Prat om ATV og Cross
DjGeNeSiS

ATVs Rules and suggestions

Post by DjGeNeSiS »

Hello All,
I do have to apologise for the language but I can't really speak Norwegian yet.
I have been living in Oslo for some time now, and I have been driving my reliable, fun Kymco 125 scooter to work, about 7 Km away.
My problem is that as soon as it starts snowing, I will have to put it away and start using the bus because two wheels on icy roads is just too scary for me.
But I was thinking of buying an ATV! That would do the trick! 4 wheels on the road, with the flexibility of the motorcycle and traction of a car!
The only thing I am wondering though.
Can I ride anywhere just as I do with the bike?
Do I have to pay for tolls in Oslo?
Do I have to park where cars park?
Do I have to pay for the parking like a car?
Will it be too cold (because obviously there is no windshield)?
Can I fit snow tires (with peggs) on the ATV?
Do I have to pay something extra for the tyres on peggs like the cars do?
Can you weave through traffic?
Will it be too dangerous?
I don't have a parking indoors so will the snow kill it?
Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

Thank you all for your help :)

G3N3sis
supermons
Administrator
MC: Suzuki GSX750

Re: ATVs Rules and suggestions

Post by supermons »

I think you have to treat it more like a car than a bike. No lanesplitting, but maybe you could get away without paying for parking (depends on the place). Riding it in winter should be no problem, even with outdoor parking, you just have to dress accordingly. If you have good winter tires for it you shouldn't need studded tires, especially in Oslo, as I guess you have to pay a licence to use them in the city.

I have seen a couple of ATVs in Oslo the last winters, but not many that commute. Most of us norwegians choose cars with heated seats, although one of my neightbors drives a Husaberg all year (studded tires in the winter) ;)