Bonneville Import from UK

Prat om tung MC.
WilliamMartyn
MC: 2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black | Arrow 2:2 Exhausts
British registration (for now...)

Bonneville Import from UK

Post by WilliamMartyn »

Hi All
This August I am moving to Norway from the UK, and want to bring my Bonnie. I'm struggling to understand the import system and what I need to pay.
Details:
Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
First registered: 01.07.2015
Purchased 01.11.2016
Purchase price: £6800 GBP
KM: 5000km
Engine Size: 865cc
CO2: 109g/km

I have tried using the skatteetaten calculator but it gives me results like 35000 nok - 45000 nok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards
Will
Bikeridr
Geocache General
MC: '11 Yamaha FJR 1300A "Alfred"
'19 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ADV "Frosken"

Re: Bonneville Import from UK

Post by Bikeridr »

Those Norwegian tax and fee figures that you mention sounds about right. One can normally assume twice the price of a (new) bike or car, except electrical vehichles in Norway and Denmark compared to the rest of Europe.

If you go to finn.no and check up the prices for your make and model, you'll get an idea of the avarage prices. It will then be a balance between if you bother to import or just buy a used one in Norway.

If you import it yourself, you'll need COC and a list price confirmation of the value (in UK) of yours. That price will determine the VAT at 25% plus of course all the extra fees you'll pay. And yes, you have to pay VAT of the fees as well..
knutk
MC: BMW R1250GSA, F850GSA, R90S

Post by knutk »

WilliamMartyn wrote:Hi All
This August I am moving to Norway from the UK, and want to bring my Bonnie. I'm struggling to understand the import system and what I need to pay.
Details:
Triumph Bonneville T100 Black
First registered: 01.07.2015
Purchased 01.11.2016
Purchase price: £6800 GBP
KM: 5000km
Engine Size: 865cc
CO2: 109g/km

I have tried using the skatteetaten calculator but it gives me results like 35000 nok - 45000 nok.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards
Will
This page will explain how it works.
https://www.toll.no/en/goods/motor-vehi ... -vehicles/

VAT is calculated from either the purchase price, if the bike was bought recently, or if it has been in your ownership for a while you need a statement that shows the current value (i.e from a dealer) Go to a dealer and ask them to value the bike for a trade in. That would be the current value for your bike.

Shipping costs are valued differently depending from where you ship the bike. From some countries the shipping cost is a calculated cost, not the real life expense.

The taxes are knocked off by a given percentage each year. If you relocate in the fall, it will lessen the taxes if you wait untill the following spring before importing the bike.

However, the qouted total cost you found is in the ballpark of what to expect.
intruder
MC: 1993 Yamaha Virago 750

Post by intruder »

Umulig å ha maskina registrert i UK og bruke den her..?

Can`t the MC be registered in UK and used here ?

my english is not very good..sorry !! not often used...
ojda
Bamsefar
MC: "Helene-GS" BMW R1200GS-Rallye. 2018.
+ en Rally til: 2022 - Honda CRF300 Rally "Doffen"👍😇
2023 - Aprilia Tuareg660 "Amanda" 🫣

Post by ojda »

Sorry, post based on old import-rouls :(
Last edited by ojda on 12 Jun 2019 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
2020: 17000km. 19: 16.6k. 18: 22k. 17: 19k. 16: 28k. 15: 22k. 14: 24k. 13: 25k. 12: 19k. 11: 9k.
Tommas
MC: 2007 V-Strom 1000

Post by Tommas »

Are you moving to Norway permanently, or for a limited time?
haakeik
MC: 2013 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX 1200
1995 Triumph Trident 750 (solgt)
2000 Honda VFR 800 (solgt)

Post by haakeik »

Are you moving permanently or just for a period?
Permanently: you have to pay import tax.

Temporary:
If your temporary stay in Norway is intended to last for up to one year, you can use a foreign-registered vehicle during this period.

If your temporary stay in Norway is intended to last for up to two years, you can use a foreign-registered vehicle for the first year, but you'll have to apply for a temporary driving permit for the second year.

Take a look at this site:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-n ... -in-norway
Last edited by haakeik on 12 Jun 2019 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Tommas

Post by Tommas »

This should be what you need.

If you have to import and pay taxes, you are probably looking at around 30k Norwegian in taxes.

Find out whether you can use a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway.

The general rules are as follows:

If you have a permanent residence outside Norway or a temporary residence in Norway, you can import and temporarily use a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway without paying taxes or duties.
If you have a permanent residence in Norway, you can only use a foreign-registered vehicle in certain cases.
It's not always easy to know which rules apply to you. If you answer these 2–8 questions, you can find out which rules you must follow.
https://www.skatteetaten.no/en/person/f ... ay/?6920=0
WilliamMartyn
MC: 2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Black | Arrow 2:2 Exhausts
British registration (for now...)

Post by WilliamMartyn »

Wow, thank you everyone for taking the time to reply!

I expect I will stay longer than one year but who knows. I read that I can use the UK registered bike for one year. Could I then apply for the registration (and pay the appropriate VAT / fees) at the end of that first year? Therefore, not having to pay all the fees upfront this August?
Tommas

Post by Tommas »

If your stay here is temporary, you can use your own bike for up to two years without paying the taxes. There are some requirements to prove this, but I do not know what exactly is needed.

From the "Tax dept link I posted" (if you fill out the questions):
If your temporary stay in Norway is intended to last for up to one year, you can use a foreign-registered vehicle during this period.

If your temporary stay in Norway is intended to last for up to two years, you can use a foreign-registered vehicle for the first year, but you'll have to apply for a temporary driving permit for the second year.
You need to apply for a permit within the first year, if your stay extends over 12 mos.

https://www.skatteetaten.no/en/forms/rf ... in-norway/